Russell Westbrook, the preemptive -700 favorite to win the MVP, will sit for the first time this season. Thunder head coach Billy Donovan announced Tuesday after shootaround that the OKC star would take a game off for rest.
The Minnesota Timberwolves opened as 1-point favorites at home over the Thunder. However, once it was announced that Westbrook, the first player since Oscar Robertson to average a triple-double for a season, would not play the line took off.
The graph is courtesy of our friends at Sports Insights. What is interesting is that at the time of publication 56% of spread bets were backing the T-Wolves but 67% of spread dollars were on OKC even with Westbrook out.
The game total has also dropped. The over/under opened at 217 but is now sitting at 207.5 with the majority of early money on the Over.
What happens when there is big line movement?
- Since 2005, there have only been 31 games (out of +16,000) in our database when the line has moved by 7 or more points. This is the ninth time it has happened in the 2016-17 season.
- Underdogs that have seen their line get worse by 7 or more points have gone 13-17 ATS
- Big line moves (5 or more points) the dogs are 15-7 ATS in 2016-17.
- Since 2005, the total has decreased by 9 or more points just 21 times. The OVER is 15-6 in those games.
Thunder Without Westbrook
- The Thunder are 31-30-1 (50.8%) ATS
- The UNDER is 38-23-1 (62.3%)