North Carolina is the reigning college basketball champions after defeating Gonzaga in the title game on Monday. Now that the season is over we can look ahead to next year. Kentucky, North Carolina and Duke are the favorites but which team will win it all? Here is an unscientific approach to picking the 2018 March Madness champion.
There are 351 schools in 32 Division I basketball conferences. Fortunately we can shrink the pool down to 90 potential title contenders – teams with championship odds at Bovada.lv. In seven easy steps we will have our champion.
1. Since 2008, only one team with preseason odds longer than 40/1 has won the title (2013-14 UConn 70/1). Toss out all the longshots, it’s just not happening.
- Teams remaining: 23
2. Top seeds have won 20 of last 33 titles. According to the odds the No. 1 seeds will be Kentucky, North Carolina and some combination of Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Louisville and Villanova.
- Teams remaining: 7
3. In the last 14 years, all but one champion has had a shade of blue in their school colors. Louisville is out.
- Teams remaining: 6
4. 19 of the last 20 champions have come from the Eastern time zone. That eliminates Gonzaga and Kansas.
- Teams remaining: 4
5. Since 1990, only two teams have repeated. It is unlikely that UNC cuts down the nets.
- Teams remaining: 3
6. The preseason favorite doesn’t win it all that often, it has only happened once since 2008. Even with the No. 1 recruiting class in the country, Kentucky is out.
- Teams remaining: 2
Duke or Villanova, which team will win the 2018 NCAA tournament?
7. In 11 of the last 15 title games, the school furthest from the Final Four, per Google Maps, has won the championship.
- Distance from Durham, NC to San Antonio: 20 hours
- Distance from Villanova to Alamodome: 24 hours
Villanova, via an unscientific approach, is your most likely 2018 NCAA champions.
Forget basketball, It’s baseball season
All MLB Pro System picks generated a profit of 117.03 units in 2016
2018 NCAA Championship Odds
|San Diego State 100/1||Diego|
|Ohio State 150/1||State|
|Mount St. Mary's||1000/1|